Monday, September 3, 2007

Burris Picnic

The Burris picnic was an interesting experience. It was neat to see the Burris community away from the volleyball setting and to get a better feel for the unique dynamics of the Burris community.

The dunking booth was an experience in itself. It was cool to see how the students interacted with each of the coaches individually. The kids loved the dunking booth (who wouldn't?!) and they especially loved Steve Shondell. They certainly seemed to enjoy all the coaches, but the line grew pretty quickly once he appeared. I think that says a lot about the kind of person he is. He was a good sport about the whole thing, even though it appeared he had hurt his back. It's neat to see how he has not only made an impact on his volleyball players, but numerous other students as well through his teaching. It makes me wonder if there is a correlation between his coaching methods and teaching techniques, both of which seem to earn the respect of his students and players.

From what I saw, the Burris community, in general, is a very child-focused community. A lot of parents would not be willing to be out in the 90 degree heat in order to support their children's school, but the field was packed with children and parents which I thought was commendable.

The evening of the picnic, I also spent some time with the camera which I had not done up to that point. To my surprise, it was not quite as difficult as I had anticipated. It was fun to play with the camera and see what types of things you can do. I, personally, have never spent that much time with a camera so it's a new experience for me, but I enjoy the learning part and I think the rest of the humanities majors will as well.

All in all, the picnic was an enjoyable experience. It was good to get out of the classroom for awhile and mingle with the community that we have been talking about so much for the last few weeks!

1 comment:

KB Perspective said...

You captured the atmosphere at the picnic to a tee! I was stunned at first by all the kids, since I've usually been surrounded by my own peers. However, I found my hesitation to be involved soon eliminated as I interacted with the kids at the dunking booth, which consisted of holding my arms out for crowd control and urging kids not to hit the button by siege (which happened three times). I'm glad to start mingling with the surrounding community of Muncie.